Thursday, September 1, 2011

Take Control of your Health

Do you have a tendency to simply accept what others are telling you regarding your body?   Do you take other's advice?  In itself, that may not be such a bad thing to do, however before taking other people's advice regarding your health, it's a good idea to consider the source.  Who is giving you the advice?  Is it your doctor, or is it a friend, relative, television commercial, article from a magazine, co-worker....you get the idea. 

There are very few people who can actually tell you what is best for your body, especially if you are dealing with a medical condition which they have not personally experienced.  It is amazing the way so many medical doctors prescribe medication, yet do not have any idea whatsoever of how that medication will affect you personally, until you contact them with your feedback.

That being said, this is not an attempt to discredit the medical profession, rather, I wholeheartedly suggest that you pay attention to your body and be prepared to accurately describe exactly what you are feeling when you speak with your doctor.  There are many conditions which technology can detect, however sometimes you have to use common sense when taking prescription medication.  Your body will usually give you indications as to whether the prescription is too strong, or whether it is rejecting whatever you are using.  Listen to your body.  Don't discount any of your feelings, especially the ones which are reoccurring.  Sometimes you have to be proactive and let your doctor know that there is a possibility that the dosage of your prescription may need to be adjusted, or perhaps changed altogether.

Of course, I am advocating for natural cures, however be clear that a decision to rid yourself of prescription medication is solely yours.  Also, choosing natural cures as opposed to allopathic treatment is something which I strongly suggest that you do under the direction of a licensed professional, and it should be a gradual transition.

I was using insulin and oral medication for just about two months before I began my transition to natural cures (homeopathic).  The decision was easy for me because I had already made up my mind at the point of being diagnosed with diabetes that I did not have any space in my life for medication.  Everyone progresses at their own rate and therefore I ask that you please do not compare yourself with anyone else.  Your journey is yours, and yours alone.  There is no judgement involved here.  You ultimately must feel comfortable with your decisions so that you do not add undue stress to your situation.

I was using herbal remedies along with the insulin.  I noticed that each week, my blood sugar readings were gradually decreasing.  I stayed in touch with my medical doctor weekly.  I did not share with her the fact that I was using the herbal remedies along with the insulin.  She kept advising me to decrease the insulin by 5 units each week.  (I was originally prescribed 40 units at bedtime and 25 units after each meal.)  I could hear the surprise in my doctor's voice each time I reported my progress to her!  Finally, I was able to discontinue the insulin, but was told I needed to take oral medication (Glipizide). 

I knew that the oral medication would be short lived because from the onset, it made me feel as though I was going crazy - literally!  The oral medication gave me heart palpitations, headaches, and I walked around feeling as though my head was detached from my body.  It was unbelievable.  I recall talking with a woman who, even though we've known each other several years, I did not know she was diabetic.  I recall her telling me as though it were yesterday, that she did not take her medication every day because "those pills can kill you."  When I described to her the way  I was feeling, she suggested that I have the dosage reduced and/or take the pills every other day instead of daily.  I tried this and it helped somewhat, however I still did not feel well. 

At that point, I began using supplements designed to regulate the blood sugar and saw almost immediate results.  I stopped using the oral medication completely a couple of weeks after starting the supplements, and have been prescription medication free ever since.

Again, I cannot stress the importance of working closely with a licensed medical practitioner.  In addition, it is important to continue testing daily.  I still test daily, however I only test once/day now instead of three times per day.  It is also important to have the A1C test done routinely.  I have this test administered every few months.  My last A1C result was 6.3.  This is an incredible decline from the original 13 when I was hospitalized in December 2009.  As you are aware, the range for a healthy blood glucose reading is around 6.  I am quickly approaching the normal state.

There are many factors involved in taking control of your health.  Diet and exercise are key components.   Do you drink plenty of water each day?  Your level of stress can make or break your efforts to reverse diabetes.  Do you have a spiritual orientation?  Do you pray or meditate?  Do you visualize yourself being in perfect health?  How is your home environment?  Are you able to relax at home?   Here is a youtube video which I enjoy for relaxation.  I hope you enjoy it as well. Just click the link below to view the video.

http://youtu.be/-BwxnFd1oGc

More to come.  I look forward to your comments and I am glad for the opportunity to share my journey with you.  Much love to all,

Queen Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment